Structural Welder Journeyperson
Structural Welder Journeyperson JD (Local & Non-Local):
This position is responsible for accomplishing, with minimal supervision, production welding on a ship or in a shop to support structural repairs and modernization of marine vessels including US Naval Vessels, Military Sealift Command, and commercial ships. The qualifications and general capabilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability desired by the shipyard.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
1. Must be able to comprehend instructions, drawings, and general correspondence.
2. Must have a working knowledge of ship repair terminology and ship compartment naming convention.
3. Must be physically and medically capable to wear all required personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE includes hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.)
4. Must be able to effectively confer job related information to the supervisor.
5. Must understand SMAW, FCAW, and GMAW.
6. Must be able to certify in all positions:
– SMAW Full Penetration weld with permanent backing (ceramic and metal)
– FCAW Full Penetration weld with permanent backing (ceramic and metal)
– GMAW Full Penetration weld with permanent backing (ceramic and metal)
7. Must be able to interpret drawings, specifications, and Navy/MSC/ABS standards manuals.
8. Must possess a working knowledge of welding equipment and work processes used in marine welding.
9. Must be able to operate and care for welding equipment, portable power tools, and hand tools used to accomplish assigned work.
10. Be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals.
11. Must understand the US customary and metric measurement system.
12. Must have up to four (4) years of welding experience in a related field.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Communicate with and provide direction to the welding helper and fire watch as needed to complete the assigned tasks.
2. Communicate explicitly with the Fire Watch and do not commence hot work until the area is ready in accordance with fire prevention protocol. .
3. Arrive at the designated work site at the assigned time and end the shift as directed by the schedule and your supervisor.
4. Work shifts and overtime as assigned.
5. Be accountable for completion of daily work assignments. 6. Comply with OSHA standards and BAE best safety practices.
7. Keep your work area clean and safe at all times, especially at the end of the shift.
8. Provide quality work and Objective Quality Evidence (OQE) as required by the work specifications or assigned by the supervisor.
9. Comply with the Company’s “Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy” which expects that all relationships among persons in the workplace will be businesslike and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment.
10. Carry out written or oral instructions. Confer with the supervisor to resolve unexpected events related to your assigned task.
Work Tasks Include:
a. Prepare work area for hot work, including checking hot work certifications at the work site and adjacent areas.
b. Prepare surfaces for production welding by inspecting joints and cleaning as required.
c. Inspect welds for defects. Confer with supervision before correcting deficiencies.
d. Document existing conditions.
e. Become familiar with applicable safety requirements before commencing work.
f. Ensure Lock-out Tag-out has been correctly accomplished.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Must be able to tour all vessels, piers, docks and work sites.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear.
The employee is occasionally required to sit.
FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION CONTACT A RECRUITER AT: email@example.com
At NSC our company culture is strong! You work hard for us and in return we want to provide you with as many benefits and resources as we can:
- Medical Coverage
- Short- and long-term disability coverage
- Identity Theft Protection
- Legal Assistance
- Long Term Opportunities
- Training and Career Growth Opportunities
- The chance to be a part of an amazing team
NSC is committed to connecting good people with good jobs!
NSC is an innovative staffing firm that specializes in placing qualified skilled, technical and professional talent in virtually any market. Our meticulous dedication to Quality and Safety is a testament to our success. We are The Staffing Experts!
NSC is a drug free company. NSC is an EOE AA/M/F/VHo/D.