Shipfitter/Fabricator – Tack & Burn – 1Q22
NSC Technologies is currently hiring Shipfitter in Norfolk, Virginia, Area. The ideal candidate must have a minimum of have 2-10 years of experience as a Shipfitter Journeyperson.
Essential Job Functions:
This position is responsible for performing, with minimal supervision, steel and aluminum structural work in all stages of repair and modernization of marine vessels, including US Naval Vessels, Military Sealift Command, and commercial ships and barges. The position requires a working knowledge of procedures, strong mechanical aptitude, and following directions. The individual must possess experience in the trade, knowledge of ship terminology, blueprint reading, measurements, and interpret job specifications and drawings. The qualifications and general capabilities listed below represent the knowledge, skill, and ability desired by the shipyard.
Qualifications and Experience:
1. Ability to comprehend instructions, drawings, and general correspondence.
2. Comprehensive understanding of ship repair terminology and ship compartment location nomenclature.
3. Be physically and medically capable of wearing all required personal protective equipment (PPE) needed for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE includes hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.)
4. Ability to write comprehensive Condition Found Reports (CFR) describing the ship's material condition as it pertains to the assigned work item and provide recommended corrective action.
5. Ability to effectively confer job-related information to the structural supervisor and small groups.
6. Ability to read and interpret structural drawings (including weld symbols), sketches, specifications, NavSea standard items, and Navy damage control diagrams.
7. Experience fabricating templates, squaring plates, scribing in structures, and installing perpendiculars on ships in accordance with drawings, specifications, or sketches.
8. Experience using an oxy-acetylene torch for cutting and washing.
9. Welding experience: SMAW (S-11A) (fillet) FCAW (S-1) (fillet) GMAW (S-25) (fillet)
10. Experience using hand and power tools safely, including but not limited to mauls, grinders, circular and reciprocating saws, and hand and magnetic drills.
11. Understand the proper use and operation of structural shop fabrication equipment, including shears, punches, and brakes.
12. Possess a working understanding of the aluminum 5XXX process.
13. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals using US customary measurement system.
14. Possess a working knowledge of, and be able to take measurements using the metric system.
15. Four (4) years of related experience.
NSC is an innovative staffing firm specializing in placing qualified, skilled, technical, and professional talent in virtually any market. We are experts in creating custom staffing solutions that fit the needs of any size business. Our meticulous dedication to Quality and Safety is a testament to our success.
NSC Technologies offers :
• Competitive pay
• Direct deposit or Global Cash Card
• Long term job opportunities
• Referral bonus if you qualify
• OSHA Training
NSC Technologies is dedicated to being the most trusted provider of innovative staffing solutions servicing the global Marine, Energy, Commercial and Industrial marketplace. We achieve long-term, meaningful relationships by exceeding customer expectations and enhancing the quality of life for our employees. NSC Technologies is committed to community service and stewardship of customer resources.
NSC Technologies has opportunities throughout the United States. Please visit our jobs page at http://jobs.nsc-tech.com
NSC Technologies is a drug-free company. NSC is an EOE AA/M/F/V/D