Sheetmetal Fitter Improver
Under supervision of a supervisor or Journeyman, this position is responsible for the removal, assembly, installation and repair of sheetmetal products and equipment such as HVAC ducting, furniture, nonstructural bulkhead systems and ceiling systems in berthing, heads, living spaces, and food service areas on maritime vessels such as Navy Ships, Military Sealift Command ships, and commercial vessels. The qualifications and general capabilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability desired by the shipyard.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
1. Must be able to comprehend instructions, drawings, and general correspondence.
2. Must have a working knowledge of ship repair terminology and ship compartment location nomenclature.
3. Must be physically and medically capable of wearing all required personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE includes hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.)
4. Must be able to write Condition Found Reports (CFR) describing the material condition of the ship as it pertains to the assigned work item.
5. Must be willing and able to carry out written and verbal instructions provided by the supervisor and journeyman.
6. Must be able to interpret appropriate sections of NAVSEA, ABS, Coast Guard standards and manufacturer’s tech manuals.
7. Must have experience repairing and installing berthing equipment; galley equipment; ventilation ducting (heating and cooling); and joiner doors.
8. Must have experience using hand and power tools and understand the operation of fabricating machines such as shears, brakes, presses, forming rolls and routers.
9. Must be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. Must understand the US customary and metric measurement systems.
10. Four (4) years of related experience, one (2) of the years in a maritime environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Must comply with OSHA standards and BAE best safety practices.
2. Arrive at the designated work site at the assigned time and end the shift as directed by the schedule and your supervisor.
3. Work shifts and overtime as assigned.
4. Keeping the work area clean and safe at all times, being aware of the added responsibility for fire prevention.
5. Complete daily work assignments and provide status of unfinished work to the supervisor and journeyman.
6. Assist with documenting Objective Quality Evidence (OQE) as required by the work specifications.
7. Comply with the Company’s “Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy” which expects that all relationships among persons in the workplace will be businesslike and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment.
8. Resolve unexpected events related to your assigned task in a professional manner.
9. Work Tasks Include:
a. Maintain a safe work environment, paying particular attention to the added requirements for hot work is required.
b. Conduct a preproduction inspection of the work site and document the results.
c. Assist with operational testing and documentation.
d. Measurement, lay out, and remove of existing structures, furniture, and ventilation ducting as required by the drawings or specifications.
e. Trim, file, grind, deburr, and buff surfaces with hand tools and power tools.
f. Bolt, rivet, screw, clip, caulk or otherwise bond components.
g. Install berthing equipment; galley equipment; ventilation ducting (heating and cooling); and joiner doors in accordance with drawings, specifications, and sketches.
h. Run and remove lines and leads as required to accomplish work and in accordance with OSHA and BAE safety standards.
i. Assist with the Lock-out Tag-out activities.
j. Clean the work site at the end of the shift.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Must be able to tour all vessels, piers, docks and work sites.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear.
The employee is occasionally required to sit.
SPECIFIC PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: May be required to demonstrate any or all requirements.
1. Lift/push/pull 50 lbs to 100 lbs on an occasional basis (0-33% of the day).
2. Lift/push/pull up to 20 lbs on a frequent basis (34-66% of the day).
3. Perform prolonged standing (2-3 hours). Bend, squat crouch, crawl and kneel.
4. Climb in a safe manner (climbing, includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders and ramps).
5. Work at a variety of levels and positions (ex. Waist, eye, above head).
6. Good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles.
7. Sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment.
8. Access work areas through 18” x 36” openings and work in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time (33-66% of the day).
9. Respond to visual, verbal, and audible sounds/commands.
10. Work at heights above 12’ from ladders, scaffolding, and manlifts.
11. Fully extend the arm while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side and reaching down.
12. Perceive attributes of an object/material such as size, shape, temperature and texture by means of receptors in the hands and fingers.
13. Turn head from side to side and about on the vertical axis. Turn body at the waist from side to side and about the vertical axis.
FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION CONTACT A RECRUITER AT: firstname.lastname@example.org
At NSC our company culture is strong! You work hard for us and in return we want to provide you with as many benefits and resources as we can:
- Medical Coverage
- Short- and long-term disability coverage
- Identity Theft Protection
- Legal Assistance
- Long Term Opportunities
- Training and Career Growth Opportunities
- The chance to be a part of an amazing team
NSC is committed to connecting good people with good jobs!
NSC is an innovative staffing firm that specializes in placing qualified skilled, technical and professional talent in virtually any market. Our meticulous dedication to Quality and Safety is a testament to our success. We are The Staffing Experts!
NSC is a drug free company. NSC is an EOE AA/M/F/VHo/D.