JRM Welders PACNW
Full Job Description
This position is responsible for assisting, under supervision, the production welding on a ship or in a shop in support of structural repairs and modernization of marine vessels including US Naval Vessels, Military Sealift Command, and commercial ships. The qualifications and general capabilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability desired by the shipyard. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
1. Must be able to comprehend instructions and general correspondence.
2. Must have a working knowledge of ship repair terminology and ship compartment naming convention.
3. Must be physically and medically capable to wear all required personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE includes hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.)
4. Be able to effectively confer job related information to the supervisor and journeyman / 1st class welder.
5. Must understand SMAW and FCAW theory.
6. Have some welding experience and be able to certify in:
- SMAW (T-1-HY)
- FCAW (T-34-A)
7. Be able to interpret drawings, specifications, and Navy/MSC/ABS standard items and manuals.8. Must have a basic understanding of equipment and work processes for the certifications held.9. Must be able to operate and provide basic maintenance for welding equipment, portable power tools, and hand tools used to accomplish assigned work.10. Be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. Must understand the US customary measurement system and have a basic understanding of the metric system.11. Must have up to one (1) year of welding experience.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide direction to the welding helper as needed to complete the assigned tasks.
2. Arrive at the designated work site at the assigned time and end the shift as directed by the schedule and your supervisor or journeyman/1st Class electrician.
3. Be accountable for completion of daily work assignments.
4. Comply with OSHA standards.
5. Keep your work area clean and safe at all times, especially at the end of the shift.
6. Communicate with the Fire Watch and provide direction as necessary.
7. Provide quality work and Objective Quality Evidence (OQE) as required by the work specifications or assigned by the supervisor. 8. Work shifts and overtime as assigned.
9. Comply with the Company’s “Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy” which expects that all relationships among persons in the workplace will be businesslike and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment.
10. Carry out written or oral instructions. Confer with the Journeyman/1st Class welder and supervisor to resolve unexpected events related to your assigned task.
Work Tasks Include:
a. Prepare work area for hot work. Fire prevention is essential.
b. Prepares work area for production welding by inspecting joints and cleaning ad required.
c. Inspect welds for defects. Confer with supervision correcting deficiencies.
d. Document existing conditions.
e. Become familiar with applicable safety requirements before commencing work.
f. Assist with Lock-out Tag-out for work being performed.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract, Temporary