Insulator Journeyperson – NL
This position is responsible for performing, with minimal supervision, the installation and removal of insulation of any component onboard ships. A journeyman measures, cuts and fabricates materials for insulation application to bulkheads, overheads, piping, ducts, machinery, and equipment to minimize heat transfer, prevent moisture condensation, and to deaden sound. Wok is accomplished in all phases of ship repair and modernization of maritime vessels including US Naval Vessels, Military Sealift Command, and commercial ships and barges. The position requires a working knowledge of procedures, comprehensive knowledge of the insulation craft and the drive to accomplish quality work on schedule. The qualifications and general capabilities listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability desired by the shipyard.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
1. Must be able to comprehend instructions, drawings, and general correspondence.
2. Musty have a comprehensive understanding of ship repair terminology and ship compartment location nomenclature.
3. Must be physically and medically capable of wearing all required personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE includes hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.)
4. Must be able to write Condition Found Reports (CFR) describing the material condition of the ship as it pertains to the assigned work item, and provide recommended corrective action.
5. Must be able to effectively confer job related information to the supervisor, improvers, and helper.
6. Must have experience applying hullboard, Armaflex, Cal-sil, ventilation insulation, and insulation pads.
7. Must have experience fabricating insulation pads.
8. Must have experience using hand and power tools associated with the trade in a safe manner.
9. Must be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals using US customary measurement system.
10. Must possess a basic understanding of the metric system.
11. Six (6) years of related experience, three (3) of which must be in the maritime environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Must comply with OSHA standards and BAE best safety practices.
2. Must arrive at the designated work site at the assigned time and end the shift as directed by the supervisor.
3. Work shifts and overtime as assigned.
4. Must keeping the work area clean and safe at all times, especially at the end of the shift.
5. Understand relevant work processes, operation of equipment, and complete tasks proficiently.
6. Complete daily work assignments and provide status of unfinished work for shift turnover.
7. Use appropriate sections of NAVSEA, ABS, Coast Guard standards and manufacturer’s tech manuals required to accomplish the insulation task.
8. Provide guidance to Improvers and Helpers.
9. Provide Objective Quality Evidence (OQE) as required by the work specifications or assigned by the supervisor.
10. Comply with the Company’s “Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy” which expects that all relationships among persons in the workplace will be businesslike and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment.
11. Carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Resolve unexpected events related to your assigned task in a professional manner.
12. Work Tasks Include:
a. Prepare the work area to create a safe work environment.
b. Remove insulation and lagging as required by the specification or as directed by the supervisor.
c. Cut to size and install all types of structural and piping insulation.
d. Direct and monitor the activities of assigned Helpers and Improvers.
e. Remove all insulation and lagging remnants from the ship.
f. Run and remove lines and leads as required to accomplish work and in accordance with OSHA and BAE safety standards.
g. Accomplish Lock-out Tag-out for work being performed.
FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION CONTACT A RECRUITER AT: email@example.com OR Call (904)372-0314
At NSC our company culture is strong! You work hard for us and in return we want to provide you with as many benefits and resources as we can:
- Medical Coverage
- Short- and long-term disability coverage
- Identity Theft Protection
- Legal Assistance
- Long Term Opportunities
- Training and Career Growth Opportunities
- The chance to be a part of an amazing team
NSC is committed to connecting good people with good jobs!
NSC is an innovative staffing firm that specializes in placing qualified skilled, technical and professional talent in virtually any market. Our meticulous dedication to Quality and Safety is a testament to our success. We are The Staffing Experts!
NSC is a drug free company. NSC is an EOE AA/M/F/VHo/D.