Job title: Editor
Job location: Tucson, Arizona
Edit assigned work for content, grammar, spelling, punctuation, style, and format, while meeting deadlines, staying within budget, and maintaining client's standards of quality.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, history, or other discipline OR at least five years experience as an editor or proofreader.
- A satisfactory score on the client's editing test.
- Make hard-copy edits, using company templates, matrices, notes, e-mail, and other sources as a guide.
- Meet deadlines and work within budgets, alerting either the editing project manager or editing department manager if concerns arise.
- Maintain an organized source of personalized reference material.
- Consult with writers to ask questions and discuss potential ambiguities in content.
- Keep in touch with graphics department personnel to ensure that graphics are updated in a timely manner.
- Assist with production tasks as necessary.
- Follow client's procedures as outlined in the company handbook, including punctuality, dress code, and telephone duties.
- Divide time among projects as necessary when priorities change.
- Attend project-related meetings and take notes for future reference.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Instinct for organization and ability to recognize patterns.
- Temperament and skill required to work quickly and efficiently (alone and with others) under deadline pressure.
- Interest in learning new things.
- Experience with Microsoft office suite and Microsoft operating system file management, with particular emphasis on Microsoft Word.